RULES FOR ENTRIES TO BE SUBMITTED FOR WORLD BIOETHICS DAY 2021 INTERNATIONAL COMPETITIONS
1. ONLY MEMBER STUDENTS of Students’ Associations collaborating with the Department of Education, International Chair in Bioethics can participate in the International Competitions for Students’ Associations (hereinafter referred as ‘Competitions’/ ‘Competition’) announced and organized by World Bioethics Day Committee (hereinafter referred as ‘WBD Committee’/ ‘Committee’) on occasion of World Bioethics Day 2021.
2. The theme for competitions in all categories shall be the ‘Theme of World Bioethics Day 2021’ i.e. ‘Informed Consent’.
3. All the entries viz. artistic poster, scientific poster, short film/video, photographs, and poems should be submitted in digital format only, as mentioned below under specific guidelines for that competitive category.
4. Only TWO ENTRIES PER COMPETITIVE CATEGORY PER STUDENTS’ ASSOCIATION can be submitted. In case more than two entries are submitted by an association, ONLY THE FIRST TWO of the submitted entries shall be considered for the competition. The decision of the Committee in this regard, shall be final and binding. No request to change the entry shall be entertained.
5. Please clearly mention the name of the category under which the entry is being submitted. The name of the category should be as mentioned in this document. Use of alternative names for any category is not permitted. In case of unclear or misleading communication the decision of the Committee, regarding including the entry in a particular category or excluding the entry from the competition, shall be final and binding.
6. Students may participate as individuals or in teams. If there will be more than one participant for one entry, only ONE prize shall be awarded, but individual certificate of participation as a team shall be given to each participant.
7. Department of Education, International Chair in Bioethics shall decide the prize to be awarded to the winners and the decision by the department shall be final and binding to all the participants. No request/demand/claim regarding the choice or amount of prize from the winning participants shall be admissible.
8. All the submitted work scientific/artistic posters, photographs, short films/videos, and poems should be the original work of the participant(s).
9. The submitted entry/entries should NOT have been presented at any other competition previously or concurrently or made available at any public domain (including electronic and non-electronic media) or used for commercial purposes, except at respective Students’ Associations collaborating with Department of Education, International Network of International Chair in Bioethics for the purpose of WBD 2021 International Competitions.
10. All the entries must be prepared/shot ONLY AFTER 1st August 2021.
11. Each entry should be submitted with a document mentioning participant’s name, complete postal address, telephone/mobile number, e-mail ID (if any), date of preparation/shooting of poster/ photograph/ film, name of Unit Head/ authorized students’ association official and the Association to which participant belongs and should be signed by participant and authorized official.
12. EACH ENTRY should accompany an undertaking (in the given format) confirming that the participant is the rightful owner of the submitted work and that (s)he has obtained any necessary third‐party releases and mentioning the date of preparation of the entry. Participants shall also agree that the organizers will not be responsible for any claims/suit challenging the authorship, or infringement on the privacy of any person clearly recognizable in the submitted entry.
13. Participant shall grant to the WBD Committee, without need for attribution, prior permission or additional pay or consideration: the right to use the submitted entry royalty‐free, world‐wide and in perpetuity; the non‐ exclusive license to copy, display, distribute, reproduce, and create derivative works of the submitted work, in whole or in part, in any media now existing or subsequently developed for all International Chair in Bioethics, WBD Committee and their authorized subsidiary bodies’ non‐profit public information and benefit purposes.
14. The entries submitted for competition shall become the property of the International Chair in Bioethics, though the copyright shall remain with the participant.
15. Any entry, during or after the competition, even if awarded the prize, but later found to be against the rules set for this competition, will be disqualified for the contest and the prize shall be cancelled and forfeited.
16. Last Date: Entries in all categories should be submitted latest by 30 September 2021. Late entries shall not be entertained.
17. The entries should be routed through the email id of President/ Authorized official of the Students’ Associations to firstname.lastname@example.org only. Committee shall not be responsible for misrouted entries. You should receive an automated acknowledgment email on successful delivery of your entry in the inbox of above-mentioned email.
ARTISTIC / SCIENTIFIC POSTER COMPETITION REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETITION RULES
Poster Rules & Criteria:
1. Artistic posters can be handmade or digitally created.
2. Scientific posters should be created in digital format only.
3. All the posters (scientific/ artistic) should be submitted in electronic format (PPT or jpeg/jpg) only.
4. Handmade artistic posters should be photographed in adequate and proper light and be submitted in jpeg/jpg format only.
5. Presentation a. Portrait or landscape. b. Border or non‐bordered. c. Written legends, slogans, or phrases may or may not be used. Color or Black and White. d. Any number of colors can be used on the poster. e. All mediums can be used (markers, crayons, pastels, paint, print etc.). f. Original photography, magazine clippings, stencils, buttons; glue‐ons may be utilized on the poster. g. Poster Text: There are no specifications for text/font size. Text should be of sufficient size for easy reading at a distance. Judging Criteria: a. Coverage of Topic‐ Details on the poster captures the important information about the WBD theme ‘Informed Consent’. b. Organization/ Logical Sequencing of Ideas‐ Organization of information with clear titles and subheadings. All graphics are related to the topic and make it easier to understand. c. Layout & Design‐ All information on the poster is in focus and can be easily viewed and identified from a distance. d. Mechanics‐ No grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors. Decisions by the judges and WBD Committee shall be final and binding. Entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by the decisions of the secretariat and/or of the panel of judges on all matters associated with the contest and waives all rights to judicial recourse in case of disputes.
PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETITION
1. Each student may submit ONLY ONE good quality, digital image (jpeg/jpg format not less than 300 dp).
2. By submitting the photograph for consideration, the photographer attests that:
a. Entry is an original photograph.
b. S/he created the image and owns full copyright to pictures submitted.
c. Entrant is prepared to certify this attestation on request.
d. Submitted image has not been published anywhere else or won prizes in any competitions or has been used for commercial purposes. Any such images are not eligible for the competition.
e. Submitted image has not been submitted in any other photo contest.
f. S/he has obtained all necessary third‐party releases.
g. If deemed necessary, the student may also be requested to submit the original source files.
a. HDR images and stitched panoramas are NOT eligible.
b. Editing or otherwise digital manipulation that distorts the reality of the images will not be allowed. Only basic enhancements such as sharpening, contrast adjustment or simple cropping will be allowed.
c. High resolution digital format is eligible
d. File size should not be more than 10 MB.
Conditions of Contest
a. The student should confirm that they have shot the photo, and are the rightful owner of the photo, and that they have obtained any necessary third‐party releases.
b. WBD Committee reserves the right to disqualify photographers who: are unable to validate the information submitted; tamper with the process; or breach Contest Rules.
Photographs will be assessed for their:
a. Creativity and originality
b. Composition (Technical excellence and quality)
c. Artistic merit (wow factor) and
d. Content (Relevance)
Decisions by the judges and WBD Committee are final. Entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by the decisions of the judges on all matters associated with the contest and waives all rights to judicial recourse in case of disputes.
SHORT FILM / VIDEO COMPETITION REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETITION RULES
This is a short film competition and hence ONLY Short Films should be submitted NO DOCUMENTARIES shall be eligible for the competition. The entries can be short digital animation films too on the topic.
Technical Specifications and Rules:
a. The films shall not be more than 5 (Five) minutes (300 seconds), including the beginning and end credits. Films exceeding this time limit are liable to be rejected. The minimum length should be 30 seconds including credits.
b. The short films should be in ENGLISH preferably, else ENGLISH SUBTITLES are a must.
FORMAT: The films may be shot in MPEG4 or AVI format. The recommended ratios are: 16:9 / 16:9 Full Height Anamorphic – in DV / HDV.
RIGHT TO SCREEN: The World Bioethics Day Committee will have the exclusive rights to screen (non – commercial) the film on the respective websites or other associated screenings.
COPYRIGHT: The Film must not contain any copyrighted work(s) belonging to third parties unless (1) Participants have a license to use such works in the Film; or (2) the use of participants' Film makes of such works, is a fair one under the copyright laws. Participants will retain any licenses and provide them to organizers upon request.
JUDGING CRITERIA Short Films / Videos will be assessed for their:
a. creativity and originality
b. composition (technical excellence and quality)
c. artistic merit (wow factor) and
d. content (relevance)
Decisions by the judges and WBD Committee are final.
Entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by the decisions of the Committee and/or of the panel of judges on all matters associated with the contest and waives all rights to judicial recourse in case of disputes.
POEM COMPETITION REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETITION
1. Each student may submit ONLY ONE Poem.
2. By submitting the poem for consideration, the student attests that:
a. Poem is an original creation of the said student.
b. S/he created the poem and owns full copyright to the submitted poem.
c. Entrant is prepared to certify this attestation on request.
d. Submitted poem has not been published anywhere else or won prizes in any competitions or has been used for commercial purposes. Any such poem is not eligible for the competition.
e. Submitted poem has not been submitted in any other contest.
f. If deemed necessary, the student may also be requested to submit the original source documents.
g. The entry should be submitted in pdf file ONLY.
Conditions of Contest
a. Students should confirm that they have created the poem and are the rightful owner of the poem.
b. WBD Committee reserves the right to disqualify students who are unable to validate the information submitted; tamper with the process; or breach Contest Rules.
Criteria Entries will be assessed for their:
a. Creativity and originality
c. Creativity merit (the wow factor) and
d. Relevance of content to current WBD theme
Decisions by the judges and WBD Committee are final. Entrant agrees to comply with and be bound by the decisions of the judges on all matters associated with the contest and waives all rights to judicial recourse in case of disputes. Dr. Praveen Arora Prof. Amnon Carmi Head Head World Bioethics Day Committee International Chair in Bioethics.
Wilsen Widal Kho
Liaison Officer to United Nations’ Agencies
Empowering Medical Students
Improving Nation's Health