We are opening the application to be a part of IFMSA delegation for the upcoming UNFCCC Bonn Climate Change conference which will take place in Bonn, Germany on 17-27 June 2019.
What is UNFCCC Bonn Conference?
Every year, the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) hosts its annual conference, known as the ‘COP’=Conference of Parties. The COPs are separated by preparatory sessions, called “intersessionals”, that take place usually in the month of May in Bonn, Germany, where the office of the UNFCCC is located, to discuss the agenda points of the implementation and the technical side of the international measures in regards to climate change, namely the Kyoto Protocol, and recently the Paris Agreement.
The Paris Agreement, adopted on 12 December 2015, marked the beginning of a new era in the global response to climate change. The world now has a global climate agreement - that may have a major public health policy impact as countries take action. As stated in the agreement, “the right to health”, will be central to the actions taken.
More information on SB 50 will be published on this dedicated website: https://unfccc.int/SB-50
What is SBI?
The SBI is one of two permanent subsidiary bodies to the Convention established by the COP/CMP. It supports the work of the COP and the CMP through the assessment and review of the effective implementation of the Convention and its Kyoto Protocol. The SBI also advises the COP on budgetary and administrative matters.
More information on SBI is available on this website: https://unfccc.int/process/bodies/subsidiary-bodies/sbi
Information on SBI 50 will be published on this dedicated website: https://unfccc.int/sbi-50
What is SBSTA?
The Subsidiary Body for Scientific and technological Advice (SBSTA) is one of two permanent subsidiary bodies to the Convention established by the COP/CMP. It supports the work of the COP, the CMP and the CMA through the provision of timely information and advice on scientific and technological matters as they relate to the Convention, its Kyoto Protocol and the Paris Agreement.
More information on SBSTA is available on this website: https://unfccc.int/process/bodies/subsidiary-bodies/sbsta
Information on SBSTA 50 will be published on this dedicated website: https://unfccc.int/sbsta-50
What are the objectives?
• Promote Health within the SB discussions and negotiations.
• Advocate for Parties to include Health within their NDCs and Health Sector Adaptation Measures in their NAPs.
• IFMSA to be recognised as Leader in Environmental Health within Youth Groups & Health Organisations.
• Address the role of Health and Healthcare Workers in the Climate Change Negotiations with other stakeholders.
• Promote the IFMSA 2020 Vision of Climate-Health in Medical Curricula
• Be available for the full duration of the meeting, or be available and have a preference for 1 of the weeks suggested
• Fund their own travel and accommodation expenses. We will however try to provide accommodation if possible.
• Actively participate in the delegation's preparations.
• Work toward achieving the objectives of IFMSA's participation in the SB 50.
• Motivation to contribute to IFMSA efforts toward Environment, Climate Change & Health ;
• Interest, and understanding of Global Health and Climate Change issues.
• Experience in Advocacy.
• Potential empowerment, expected outcomes and follow up plans after the meeting;
• Regional representation and Gender balance will also be taken into account
Dont hesitate to ask the Contact Person for more info.
Requirements: Application form (online) and Candidature Form.
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Register yourself for the opportunity!
Empowering Medical Students
Improving Nation's Health